New Hockey Fan

Now, before we get started, I want to make it clear that I have very little hockey knowledge. Growing up in the south I was never really fan. In the great state of Texas we don't even have water, let alone ice ( when I started saying this to northerners I didn't realize we had the Dallas Stars). One of the benefits of attending an institution of higher learning is the integration of social norms, such as being a hockey fan. I have fought and struggled for the control over the television remote since the NHL playoffs started but something happened yesterday that made me bite my tongue, I became a fan. I am declaring it here and now that I have officially become a hockey fan and it started with the Las Vegas Golden Knights and the San Jose Sharks.

In a hard fought series split right down the middle at three games a piece, game seven was guaranteed to put on a show for all to see. In a game that seemed doomed from the start for San Jose, possibly the most exciting five minutes in sports made all the difference in this post season stretch. A cheap shot that landed a san jose player on the ice with a separated shoulder and a swift ice skate to the face created a scene out of an NHL Horror show. The vicious act awarded the sharks with a five minute power play and with blood in the water the sharks were ready to eat, scoring back to back goals within a minute. A reenergized Las Vegas unit attempted to hold san jose and managed to do so for 3 minutes before the sharks circled back for a third goal that split the game just like the series 3-3. With 52 seconds left in the power play the Sharks were able to score a fourth time in five minutes to take the lead in a game that was all but over 5 minutes ago. The passion in those five minutes was enough to make any casual sports fan a hockey fan. I should know, I have converted myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madness Follow Up

Will Hailie Deegan be NASCAR's First Female Winner?

Is Kyle Busch One of NASCAR's Best Ever?